Majed Sighting at Leesylvania State Park

Hey Rats and Rat Wannabes! Sunday, May 31 was our first trip to Leesylvania State Park. The park is nice, but I gotta tell ya, the launch site is pretty dismal - including the snakes and doofy park rangers. The good news is it's within a biscuit toss from Tim's River Shore where Josh, Brent and I stopped for some seafood and refreshing libations. Before that, though, we paddled under the train bridge, wound through the lily pads and meandered down a long creek until the water got too shallow to navigate. It looked a lot like Pohick, but the creek wasn't as fun. Anyone with a boat longer than 12 feet, may have had a problem turning around, too.

Meanwhile, back at the boat landing, we spied a suspicious yellow kayak atop a tan car. It was our long lost Majed who had arrived late and never found us in the water. It was so great to have him join us (sort of) for his first paddle of the season. Welcome Back Majed! We've missed you!

I'm cooking up plans for next week's paddle - stay tuned.

Friday, August 8, 2008

Jack's Boathouse

Thursday, August 7 was my first weekday paddle at Jack's Boathouse in Georgetown. I went on Thursday due to storms on Wednesday, but Wednesday will be the regular day. The boathouse is terrific with a terrace with plants, tables and chairs. It's a very relaxed atmosphere. On Thursday evenings the Potomac Pirates - a local kayak club - meets there for socializing and paddling. They are a nice bunch, but seemed a little wary of outsiders. I was a little miffed when no one offered me a hand as I carried my own kayak (obviously struggling) up ramps and stairs. Perhaps I appeared to have things under control.
The paddle itself was idyllic! I paddled up-stream a few miles to Fletcher's Boathouse, passing basking turtles on the Three Sisters, and no power boats at all. Once you get around the first bend, the city disappears, and the landscape is as it was 200 years ago - just trees and the river. A small squall hit me on the way back - a bit of rain and thunder, but the sun was shining the whole time. It was quiet and relaxed and wonderful.
I plan to get out there every Wednesday afternoon. Times will vary. The weather will also be a factor - I may go on Thursday if the weather is bad on Wednesday. I hope you all can join me. - Jess

No comments: